In May of 1958, John Farrar opened the doors at J & J Burning Company with one burner, one welder and 4,000 square feet of steel fabricating space. John focused on sales and recruited his younger brother, Charles, to manage the manufacturing operations. A year later, Charles assumed primary ownership. His sons, Tim and Gary, took over day to day management of the company in 1992; but, with his example of persistence, integrity and dignity, Charles continued to play a pivotal role in J & J’s success until his death in 2009.
Today, Tim and Gary continue as owners, guiding J & J through the ups and downs of the American manufacturing industry in the new millennium. During their tenure, sales grew to over $10 million a year and the customer base expanded to cover all of the continental United States. They have also intelligently invested in equipment, technology and people to pave the way for the third generation. Tim’s son, Michael Farrar, is currently the Operations Manager. Michael grew up around J & J and is as committed to its future as was his Grandfather.
What started as a very small shop has evolved into one of the largest steel fabricators in the industry, with 65,000 square feet of prime manufacturing space. Over 58 years, we have had many great achievements. We have built steel fabrications as heavy as 140,000#. We have shipped assembly parts as far away as Israel. We have assisted in the creation of sculptures displayed throughout the Metro Detroit area. We have even dabbled in making furniture and playground equipment. We are proud of our success and know that with the help of all of our dedicated, hard-working employees, we will continue to manufacture quality parts at reasonable prices, just as John and Charles envisioned so long ago.
To see more photos, go to www.jjburning.com